Protection of your personal information
Last update : 2023-07-28
Consent to receive personalized offers and advice
You received an email or letter from us and would like to change your consent? You can do so at any time by clicking the link in your communication or by calling us at 1 844 781-0860.
Protecting you is serious business. So is protecting your personal information. Here at Beneva1, we are committed to protecting the confidentiality of your personal information and handling it in a manner that respects the law as well as your privacy.
To do this, 4 principles guide us:
We limit ourselves to the essential
We are transparent
We get your consent
We protect the confidentiality of your information
1. Who is covered by our privacy statement
The rules described here apply to any individual whose personal information we process in the course of our activities. We continue to apply them even when the objectives for collecting, using or communicating personal information are achieved.
Here are some examples of situations where this statement applies to you.
|You do business with us:||You are not a Beneva client, but:|
2. How we collect your personal information
We may collect personal information from various sources:
- You, when you interact with us
- Other individuals or organizations. For example: your employer, credit reporting agencies, health care professionals, government agencies as well as public and private databases that may have information about you.
- Individuals who hold a product or service, such as the primary insured of an insurance policy. Before providing us with your personal information, these individuals must obtain your consent to the collection, use and communication of your personal information.
In what ways
We may collect your personal information in a number of ways. For example:
- In person
- Through our forms and digital interfaces
- By using statistical models that can create or infer new information from your personal information. For example, we can create a unique Beneva identifier or a consumer profile.
3. What personal information we collect?
We limit ourselves to the essential. We collect the personal information necessary for the objectives listed in this section.
We consider "personal information" to be any information about you that identifies you, directly or indirectly (for example, by linking it to other information).
Here are some examples of what we can collect, use or disclose.
- First and last name
- Date of birth
- Mailing or email address
- Telephone number
- Answers to authentication questions
- Government identifiers and other information on your identity documents (for example: social insurance number, driver’s licence number, health insurance number, passport number)
- Health history
- Health status
- Lifestyle habits
- Insurance quotes and applications
- Information on insured persons and property, premiums, coverage, conditions and other guarantees
- Information on claims you submitted
- Claims history
- Driving record
- Income, salary, balance and receivables
- Products and investments and their terms
- Credit reports and credit history
- Balance sheet
- Investor profile
- Tax identification number
- Payment information
- Ownership and overview of your situation, including your profile, needs and goals
- History of transactions and interactions
- Client, financial product or service, policy or contract number
- Identification number, group number and employer number
- IP address
- Location data
- Information about your device, operating system or browser
- Browsing preferences and habits
- Reasons you do business with us
- Telephone recordings and communications to enhance your customer experience
- Written communications (for example: your letters or emails)
- Notes, records and history of your communications with us
- Information about your inquiries, dissatisfactions or complaints
- Language or communication preferences
- Responses to surveys, contests and consultations
- Information in public records (for example: municipal records, land registers, court records)
- Video recordings from security cameras at our points of service and electronic access card activation logs
- Information on our verifications related to misrepresentation, frauds, cyber threats and other legal violations
- Criminal history
- Information about people other than you (for example: agent, guardian, temporary representative, assistant, beneficiary, spouse, dependent or other insured person)
- Information about your professional status (for example: your education, occupation, professional association or order)
4. Why we collect, use and disclose your personal information
Your personal information allows us to provide you with our products and services, and to meet our legal obligations. We can also use it to provide you with a personalized experience, if you consent.
We do our best to make sure your personal information is accurate, complete and up to date when we use it. We count on your cooperation to inform us when this information changes.
The objectives for which we collect, use, retain, and disclose your personal information are as follows.
Establish our relationship with you
- Identify you
- Understand your situation, profile, needs and goals
- Evaluate your requests and determine if we can provide you with our products and services
Manage and administer your products and services
- Assess risks and determine which ones we insure
- Determine our prices and the terms for our products and services
- Process claims and payments
- Make recommendations and provide advice based on your situation to reduce the likelihood and impact of a claim
Interact with you
- Update your file
- Handle your information requests, dissatisfactions and complaints
- Get your feedback on your interactions with us and on our products and services
- Conduct studies and research, including designing and applying statistical models.2
Protect your security and ours
- Detect and prevent misrepresentation, fraud, cyber threats and other violations of the law
- Investigate as required
Meet our other legal obligations
- Fulfill our tax obligations
- Fulfill our retention obligations
- Respond to requests and orders from courts, government and regulatory agencies
Provide you with personalized offers on our products and services, as well as advice tailored to your situation, according to your communication preferences (for example: by mail, email, text message, telephone, via our applications and websites, or those of other organizations)
5. We always obtain your consent, unless the law allows us to do otherwise
5.1 When we obtain your consent
We ask for your consent before we collect, use or disclose your personal information.
In some cases, we can assume that we have your consent, or the law allows us not to obtain it. (See section 5.4.)
5.2 How we obtain your consent
We may ask for your consent in a number of ways:
- In writing
- By telephone, including by an automated message
- Electronically or digitally
5.3 The duration and scope of your consent
Your consent is valid for the time necessary to achieve the objectives we requested it for. It then remains valid to fulfill our retention obligations described in the law and in our retention schedules.
If we wish to collect, use or disclose your personal information for any other purpose, we will ask for your consent again, except as described in the following section.
5.4 Situations when we won’t ask for your consent
We can use your personal information without your consent if the law allows us to do so, for example if the use is to your advantage or if it is consistent with the purpose for which we collected your personal information.
We may also use or disclose your personal information without your consent to meet our legal obligations. For example:
- To comply with an order of a court or other body
- To prevent or detect fraud
- As part of an investigation
6. We may disclose your personal information to other individuals and organizations
6.1 To whom we can disclose your personal information
We may disclose your personal information to our affiliates and other individuals or organizations, if necessary to achieve the objectives listed in this section.
Here are some examples:
- 6.2 We can disclose personal information outside Quebec or Canada
We usually keep your personal information in Quebec or Canada.
However, we sometimes use suppliers based elsewhere. We may therefore disclose your personal information to another country or province. It is then subject to the laws of that country or province. We require suppliers to have adequate security measures in place before communicating personal information to them.
7. How we protect your personal information
7.1 We limit access to your personal information
Only those who need to access your personal information in order to perform their duties can do so. They only have access to the information necessary to achieve the objectives listed in this section. This is true both for our team members and for our external suppliers and partners.
7.2 We implement place robust security measures
We have implemented several measures to protect your personal information from loss, theft and unauthorized access, use or disclosure.
- Require security clearances for certain job categories
- Limit access to personal information to what is strictly necessary
- Record (log) all copying and exporting of personal information in the course of our day-to-day operations
- Access cards to our offices
- Register visitors and verify their identity
- Save and archive personal information in an emergency backup system
- Encrypt personal information when necessary for its keeping or disclosure outside our company
- Set up passwords, firewalls and other security measures
7.3 We destroy your personal information after fulfilling our obligations
We keep your personal information for as long as necessary to achieve the objectives listed in this section. Even if you no longer do business with us, we generally have to keep it for a certain period of time to comply with our business rules and legal obligations. We have put in place retention schedules to clearly define those limits.
Once the retention period has passed, we permanently destroy your personal information.
8. Your rights
8.1 Modify your consent
You can modify your consent to the collection, use, disclosure and retention of your personal information, subject to certain conditions.
|Consent to do business with us||Consent to receive personalized offers and advice|
This consent allows us to offer you our products and services and to give you access to the best price.
If you withdraw your consent, we may no longer be able to offer you our products and services. We may also have retain certain personal information in order to meet our legal and contractual obligations.
You may withdraw your consent at any time by calling 1 844 781-0860.
8.2 Accessing and correcting your personal information
You have rights related to your personal information. You may ask us to:
- access it
- correct or update it
- receive a copy of it in a commonly used, structured technological format (for example, a PDF file)
- if information is publicly shared, to stop sharing it (for example, to remove a post related to a contest from our social media channels)
Here are the steps for processing a request:
- You must send a detailed written request to our Chief Privacy Officer. Their contact information is at the end of this section.
- We will process your request within 30 days of receiving it. We will inform you if you have to pay a transcription, reproduction or transmission fee.
- You will receive our response in writing.
Please note that you also have the right to request to de-index or re-index a hyperlink attached to your name (make it accessible or inaccessible via a search engine) under certain conditions.
8.3 Being informed if an automated decision is made
We will inform you if we make an automated decision about you. In some cases, we use your personal information to make a decision without anyone on our team intervening. For example, we process certain group insurance claims and individual insurance applications in this way. We can also determine if we can insure you and set a price in this way.
You have the right, for instance, to ask for the main reasons for an automated decision or to present your observations to a member of our team.
9. You have applied or previously applied for a job at Beneva.
9.1 Additional information about the protection of your personal information
At Beneva, we collect, use, keep and disclose only the personal information we truly need.1 It could be your identifying information, such as your name, mailing address, email or phone number. During the application process, we may also collect other information, for example, your employment information and skills, such as your diplomas or certifications and psychometric test results.
This information allows us to:
- Identify you
- Evaluate and update your application
- Verify the accuracy of your information
- Comply with legal requirements
- Communicate with you regarding your application
- Send you information about career opportunities that may match your profile (refer to your right to withdraw consent)
- Conduct studies and research, including the design and application of statistical models
- Install your workstation, when required
9.2 Who does Beneva share your personal information with?
For the purposes described above, and only in connection to the evaluation of your application, or required under the recruitment process to hire you, we may disclose your personal information to other organizations. We carefully choose them, whether they be located in Quebec, Canada or elsewhere.
Before doing so, we require these organizations to take appropriate security measures to ensure that your personal information is secure.
These organizations can include:
- Credit assessment agencies and firms that conduct criminal background checks (with your consent)
- Companies offering solutions or services in the management of human capital, e.g. partner psychometric assessment firms
- Other agents and service providers (technology services, mailing services, firms specializing in immigration, etc.)
9.3 How do we collect your personal information?
We collect your personal information by using digital interfaces, technical, behavioural and psychometric evaluations, by telephone, email or in person.
9.4 Consent to receive information about potential career opportunities at Beneva
You can modify your preferences in Workday to withdraw employment alerts you previously set.
You can also write to us at [email protected] to withdraw your consent allowing our talent acquisition team to contact you by email or telephone regarding potential career opportunities that match your profile.
10. Contact the Chief Privacy Officer
Our Chief Privacy Officer stands on guard. This person ensures that we follow the rules outlined in this section and in the law. Have questions, comments or a request regarding your personal information? Contact our Chief Privacy Officer by filling out our form or write to us at:
Chief Privacy Officer
625 rue Jacques-Parizeau
Québec, QC G1R 2G5
La Capitale and SSQ Insurance
Make yourselves at home